Please read our .

Listed Building: SEA LOCK AND BASIN (1333170)

Grade II
Authority Historic England
NHLE UID 1333170
Date assigned 18 March 1999
Date last amended

Description

Sea lock and basin. 1823. Probably by Josias Jessop. Red brick in English bond. Roach bed Portland stone dressings. North and south walls have 2 narrow recessed panels at east and west ends, which housed gates and posts. Gates and posts missing except for part of the original oak posts at west end. The upper iron post holding straps are set in the stone coping. West end has curved wall on each side at entrance to basin. Stone rusticated quoins and deep coping stones at ground level. Areas of coping are missing. East projection into Langston Harbour is foreshortened with brickwork rakes down at ends, late C20. Later cranked iron bridge at west end of lock. Sides of basin recently partially restored. This is the only surviving section of the Portsea Canal which was part of the Portsmouth and Arundel canal. (Vine PAL: London's Lost route to the Sea: David & Charles N. Abbot: 1956-1973: 58-65). Selected Sources Books and journals Vine, P A L , Londons Lost Route to the Sea, (1956-1973), 58-65

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.

Map

Location

Grid reference SZ 6784 9991 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Mar 11 2015 3:08PM