Please read our .

Listed Building: BAMFORD HOUSE, DOWELL HOUSE, FINCH HOUSE, HALLIDAY HOUSE FORMER LONG BARRACKS AND SCREEN WALLS TO EAST AND WEST, MARINE GATE HARVEY HOUSE, PRETTYJOHN HOUSE, WILKINSON HOUSE (1387087)

Grade II
Authority Historic England
NHLE UID 1387087
Date assigned 11 April 1986
Date last amended 18 March 1999

Description

Includes: Harvey House, Prettyjohn House, Wilkinson House (Nos.1-6 consec) GUNNERS ROW. Includes: Bamford House, Dowell House, Finch House, Halliday House (Nos.1-6 consec) GUNNERS ROW. Terrace of barrack blocks at RM Eastney Barracks, now houses. 1863-5, designed by William Scamp for the Admiralty Works Department; converted 1995. Brown brick in Flemish bond with red and yellow brick and Portland stone dressings. Slate roofs with brick stacks. PLAN: a terrace of 7 linked blocks, each with a central stair/ablution block projecting at front and rear, flanked by barrack rooms. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, each block 4:3:4 bays, the centre projecting under hipped roof. Rusticated red brick bands, and quoined pilasters between blocks. Stone sillbands to 1st and 2nd floors. Stepped, cogged, brick eaves. Windows are 12-pane sashes in reveals, on ground floor round-arched, on 1st-floor segmental-arched, and on 2nd floor with rubbed flat arches; on ground floor the windows are set in recesses which have dropped "keystones" and "stepped voussoirs" of red and yellow brick. To each barrack a central three-quarter glazed door with fanlight. Rising between alternate windows of barrack rooms are tall chimneys with coupled flues and oversailing caps. Attached to east and west ends are rusticated red brick screen walls each with a tall central carriageway flanked by lower pedestrian arches, all round-arched, the pedestrian arches having plain stone cornices and coped brick parapets above; the carriageways having stone cornices and blocking courses supporting outward pointing mortars and piles of mortar balls. Rear of barrack block plainer, having brick sillbands, and windows simply segmental-arched on ground floor. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY: a remarkable barrack block, the longest in the country after the Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich. William Scamp was the assistant director of the Admiralty Works Department, and associated with the Royal Dockyards at this time. The carefully laid-out site beside the seashore reflects its use by Marines; it is also probably the last large defensible barracks built in the country. Part of the best and most complete barracks of the post-Crimean War period. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985-: 429; PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: 1862-: PTM/2243). Selected Sources Books and journals Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1985), 429

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.

Map

Location

Grid reference SZ 667 988 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Dec 18 2015 11:03AM