Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM1101 - TWO FORMER POWDER MAGAZINES AT TIPNER MAGAZINE

Summary

Two former powder magazines. North magazine built c. 1796-98, South magazine 1856. Later used for general ordnance storage by the army.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

GV II Two former powder magazines. North magazine of c1796-8, south magazine of 1856. Red brick in Flemish bond with grey headers, stone dressings. Late c20 gambrel-shaped roof with troughed metal covering. EXTERIOR: each magazine 1 storey and attic, 3 bays. To main east facade each magazine has 3 large openings each with a 2-leaf iron door set under flat stone arch; far right door to north magazine missing. At each jamb are 3 stone block inserts each with large built-in door hinge. On each side of centre doors is a long narrow ventilation slot with stone surround. Brick band at first floor and three 2-leaf 8-pane recessed casements each set under gauged brick segmental arch, stone sill. Attic has 2 blinded window openings to north magazine and 2 similar openings to south magazine but with slated timber panels, each set under gauged brick segmental arch and gambrel-shaped gable with stone coping. South wall rebuilt mid C20 for vehicular access. INTERIOR: the brick vaulting remains intact at east end of each magazine for approx one third of the length. Rear wall to north magazine demolished, late C20 rebuilt rear wall to south magazine.

HISTORY: The recent war with France, and the invasion scare of 1779 led to concerns about the vulnerability of the arsenals and had exposed an alarming situation concerning the state of the nation's gunpowder. The former was foremost in the mind of the new (appointed 1782) Master-General of the Board of Ordnance, George Lennox the Third Duke of Richmond. Although his plan to enhance the landward fortifications of Portsmouth and Plymouth was defeated in the House of Commons in 1786, his other strategy - to divide and separate the magazines - was implemented at Portsmouth with the acquisition of land at Tipner Point between 1789 and 1791. The original design for a pair of circular vaulted magazines was superceded by the present one for a magazine with groined arches and a copper-clad wooden roof. From 1805 until the mid 1820s Tipner acted as deposit magazine for the restoving of old gunpowder at Stamshaw nearby (demolished). The magazine accommodation at Tipner, Marchwood and Upnor was increased following appraisal by Lord Panmure, the Secretary of State for War, of the Committeee on Magazines report of March 1856. The southern extension to the magazine was built with parabolic arches, as used at Weedon Bec and Upnor. On the division of the ordnance depots between the two services in 1890, the site passed to the Army, and on conversion of the magazines into general ordnance storage the present iron doors were inserted.

(David Evans, Ordnance Yards. Research for English Heritage)


Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.

Protected Status/Designation

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SU 6399 0356 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM