Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM1282 - Three Crowns Public House
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Site of the former Three Crowns public house, demolished 2007/8. Cartographic evidence suggests that there was probably a Three Crowns public house on the site by at least 1798. This earlier structure may have been re-built shortly after 1835 as a purpose-built inn, and the later ordnance survey maps show that subsequent major alterations took place between 1870-1898. Additional modifications during the 20th century included the rebuilding of the south end of the building, probably as a result of bomb damage.
The Three Crowns was demolished between December 2007 and January 2008. An archaeological building recording and watching brief concluded that the structure as it appeared in 2007 probably dated to between 1870-1898. The findings were as follows:
The building appeared to have always been divided into two blocks, north and south, reflected by the 19th century street numbering. The southern block had been remodelled several times, and was extended in the late 20th century. Alterations carried out around 1950 were probably due to Second World War bomb damage. As there was no basement, it is likely this block did not have a bar, and it was probably an ancillary building to the north block which functioned as the public house. The north block probably had two bars on the St James' Street frontage, which were later merged to form one. A cellar below the bars appeared to be contemporary with the 19th century structure. Rooms behind the bar would have been used as offices and accommodation for the publican and their family. It is possible that there was a large function room above the bar, which was later divided into two rooms and used for accommodation. The rear of the north block was originally divided into two wings, which were separated by an open yard. Evidence of what may have been a large door opening in one of the walls suggested that the southern wing may have been used for storage or stabling. During the late 19th century the open yard was in-filled, and the current staircase rose into this area. The roof also dated from this period, as it had been built across the former yard in one phase of construction. No evidence of 18th century features or fabric were revealed during the work.
Accession number: 2007/90
Smith, M P, 2008, Archaeological Building Recording of the Former Three Crowns Public House, 10 St James's Street, Portsmouth (Unpublished document). SPM217.
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SPM217 Unpublished document: Smith, M P. 2008. Archaeological Building Recording of the Former Three Crowns Public House, 10 St James's Street, Portsmouth.
Protected Status/Designation
- Conservation Area 18: Guildhall and Victoria Park
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 6356 0033 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM