Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM1392 - Medieval church of St Andrew, Farlington
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
The original parish church of St Andrew Farlington was built during the 12th century. This earlier building was demolished in the mid-19th century to make way for the new church that was erected on the site in the 1870s. The only surviving features from the earlier church in the new building are the west window, which was re-set, and a few memorials in the west end and the sanctuary. A list of rectors from 1287 onwards can be seen on the north wall.
Until the 19th and 20th centuries, the parish of Farlington formed a narrow oblong area running north-south over and beyond Portsdown Hill, with the church in the southeast corner and the area now occupied by the town of Waterloville in the north.
Parish of Farlington, 2014, St. Andrew's History (Bibliographic reference). SPM167.
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SPM167 Bibliographic reference: Parish of Farlington. 2014. St. Andrew's History.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 6857 0582 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM