Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM1437 - Rampart Wall, Pembroke Road
Summary
Map
Type and Period (2)
Full Description
Old back wall to fortifications including monument of 1851 to two horses ‘Comus and Chief’. [1]
Surviving section of part of the curtain wall to the Portsmouth town fortifications which ran between King's Bastion and Pembroke Bastion. This section of wall was just south of King William's gate which stood in Pembroke Road (see MPM383). [2]
A memorial dated 1851 to two horses, ‘Comus' and 'Chief', which belonged to Lieutenant Governor William Fitzclarance, is situated within the wall and is included in the listing.
The inscription on the memorial reads:
'CLOSE TO THIS SPOT IS BURIED COMUS A FAVOURITE PONY GIVEN BY KING WILLIAM THE IV TO LORD FRED FITZCLARANCE 1832 DIED 1851 AGED 25 YEARS. ALSO THE CHIEF A FAVOURITE OLD HUNTER GIVEN BY KING WILLIAM THE IV TO LORD FRED FITZCLARANCE AGE 21 YEARS. THESE HORSES WERE BURIED HERE BY LORD FRED FITZCLARANCE RELINQUISHING THE COMMAND OF THE SOUTH WEST DISTRICT AND LT GOVERNORSHIP OF THE FORTRESS 1851.' [3]
<1> Portsmouth City Council, 2011, City of Portsmouth Local List of Buildings (Bibliographic reference). SPM37.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1867, Ordnance Survey Map 1867 (Map). SPM688.
<3> HER Officer, 2017, Comus and Chief Memorial 2017 1 (Photograph). SPM687.
Sources/Archives (3)
- <1> SPM37 Bibliographic reference: Portsmouth City Council. 2011. City of Portsmouth Local List of Buildings.
- <2> SPM688 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1867. Ordnance Survey Map 1867.
- <3> SPM687 Photograph: HER Officer. 2017. Comus and Chief Memorial 2017 1.
Protected Status/Designation
- Conservation Area 4: Old Portsmouth
Other Statuses/References
- Locally Listed
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | Centred SZ 6341 9918 (51m by 56m) (2 map features) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM