Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM1491 - 131 Talbot Road

Summary

Former late 19th century Public House called The Talbot, built in 1898.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Prominent corner former Talbot Public House red tiled ground floor with ‘Brickwoods’ fascia, half-timbered upper floors with corner turret, visible from many directions e.g. across Fratton goods yard, from station and in view along Goldsmith Avenue. Built in 1898, and designed by A. E. Cogswell. [1]

The Talbot public house closed in 1981, and was converted for use as a hostel. [2] The building is now in use as residential flats.


<1> Portsmouth City Council, 2011, City of Portsmouth Local List of Buildings (Bibliographic reference). SPM37.

<2> 2015, Portsmouth Pubs (Bibliographic reference). SPM271.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> SPM37 Bibliographic reference: Portsmouth City Council. 2011. City of Portsmouth Local List of Buildings.
  • <2> SPM271 Bibliographic reference: 2015. Portsmouth Pubs.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • Locally Listed

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 6546 9994 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM