Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM1513 - St Swithun's Roman Catholic Church, Waverley Road
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Roman Catholic Church designed by Canon Alexander Scoles. The church opened in 1901, although it was not consecrated until 1908. It replaced an earlier iron church erected when the Mission of Our Lady and St Swithun was established in Saxe-Weimar Road (re-named Waverley Road) in 1884. The iron church was moved to the rear of the present building in 1899, and was demolished in 1983 to make way for a car park. The church contains a stone reredos with a canopied row of Saints, Sacred Heart Chapel with Westlake reredos opened 1908, and a Lady Chapel. [1]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roman Catholic church built in 1910. Red brick, tiled roof, nave with aisles, paired lancet windows in stone surrounds, presbytery to south. [2]
<1> Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.
<2> Portsmouth City Council, 2011, City of Portsmouth Local List of Buildings (Bibliographic reference). SPM37.
Sources/Archives (2)
- <1> SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.
- <2> SPM37 Bibliographic reference: Portsmouth City Council. 2011. City of Portsmouth Local List of Buildings.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Other Statuses/References
- Locally Listed
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SZ 6515 9889 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM