Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM1546 - Site of the old Town Hall

Summary

Site of the earliest known town hall built c.1530s and it's replacement constructed on the same site in 1739. The second hall was subsequently demolished in 1836/7.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Site of the 16th century Town Hall, and it's 18th century replacement. The halls were situated in the middle of the High Street.

The earliest recorded town hall in Portsmouth is mentioned by John Leland in his 'Itinerary' of travels around England and Wales during the years 1535-1543. Leland wrote 'One Carpenter a riche man made of late tyme in the mydle of the high streate of the toune a toune house'. Thomas Carpenter was mayor of Portsmouth in 1531 and 1537. This early town hall/market house was probably constructed out of timber. Very little is known about this structure, but the early borough records suggest it contained a court or council chamber, and rooms occupied by the senior Sergeant at Mace.

By 1736 the 16th century town hall was in a state of disrepair, and rooms at the Governor's House were having to be used as the Record Court and Sessions House. In 1739 the old hall was demolished and a new town hall was erected on the same spot. The new hall was constructed from stone and had a portico, and stucco work in the ceiling. Between 1795 and 1796, this building was repaired and 'improved', as the council chamber was considered to be too small and in need of repair. The chamber and the steps which lead to it were removed, and a new, larger, council chamber supported by Corinthian pillars and a new set of steps with an iron balustrade, was constructed in its place. The hall was made up of several parts. At street level was a market place enclosed by arches on either side and at one end, above which were the Council Chamber and Record Room. Above the chamber and Record Room were a few small rooms and store places.

In 1836 a committee was formed to look for a suitable site for a new town hall, as the 18th century hall was considered to be too great an obstruction to traffic in the High Street. The hall was demolished in 1836/37, and The New Guildhall and Market was opened at Nos. 42-43 High Street on 28th June 1838.

The present Guildhall in Guildhall Square (known as the' Town Hall' until 1926) was opened in 1890, although only the façade survived the bombing raids of the Second World War. The Guildhall at 42-43 High Street became the Portsmouth Museum and was destroyed during the Second World War.


East, Robert, 1891, Extracts from the Portsmouth Records (Bibliographic reference). SPM279.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- SPM279 Bibliographic reference: East, Robert. 1891. Extracts from the Portsmouth Records.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 632 993 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM