Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM1656 - Former Old Dock Mill

Summary

Site of the Old Dock Mill built by the Union Society of HM Dockyard men in 1796. Later owned by the Board of Ordnance. In use c1796-1866.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Former tower mill (windmill), known as the Old Dock Mill, c1796-1866 [1]. Built by the Union Society of HM Dockyard men founded in 1796. Purchased by Board of Ordnance in 1816 [2]. Also known as the Shipwrights Mill [1, 2]. The mill also had a bakery.

The Dockmill Society built a new tower mill at a site in the present day Napier Road, Southsea, in 1817 (see MPM381). This is often known as the 'New Dock Mill', and the original mill at Flathouse as the 'Old Dock Mill'.


<1> Riley, Ray & Yoward, Tony, 2001, Structuration Theory and 19th Century Corn Milling in Portsmouth (Bibliographic reference). SPM293.

<2> Horne, Robert Sutherland, 1969, Britain's First Co-op in Portsmouth? (Bibliographic reference). SPM304.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> SPM293 Bibliographic reference: Riley, Ray & Yoward, Tony. 2001. Structuration Theory and 19th Century Corn Milling in Portsmouth.
  • <2> SPM304 Bibliographic reference: Horne, Robert Sutherland. 1969. Britain's First Co-op in Portsmouth?.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SU 639 011 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM