Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM1664 - Brick wall foundation, Gunwharf
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
A 19th century brick wall was revealed during a watching brief at the Gunwharf Quays site in 2004. The wall measured 10m long x 0.5m wide, and consisted of decayed mortar and bricks. A section of floor tiles measuring 46cm x 36cm x 3cm remained in situ. The wall was located to the south of the former Donegal Lodge, built in 1897. The foundations of the lodge were completely removed during demolition. The wall is therefore thought to relate to either the Elephant and Castle Inn or St. George's Iron Foundry, which were situated within the area during the 19th century.
Accession No: 2004/809
Beach, & Couling, G, 2004, Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth: Results of the Archaeological Watching Brief on Ariadne Phase II (Unpublished document). SPM316.
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SPM316 Unpublished document: Beach, & Couling, G. 2004. Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth: Results of the Archaeological Watching Brief on Ariadne Phase II.
Protected Status/Designation
- Conservation Area 25: Gunwharf
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SZ 632 999 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM