Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM1700 - Site of Naval Telegraph Semaphore Station
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Site of the first Naval telegraph in Portsmouth, erected on Portsdown Hill in 1795. The telegraph was one of a line of shutter semaphore stations which operated between Southsea common and Whitehall, transmitting messages between the fleet at Portsmouth and Admiralty in London. The semaphore used a series of revolving shutters held in a frame, which were opened and closed in different variations in order to represent specific words, enabling messages to be conveyed between Portsmouth and London within minutes.
The shutter station was replaced after the Napoleonic Wars by a new Semaphore Telegraph located near Camp Down, at the eastern end of Portsdown Hill. The new semaphore stations transmitted messages using two signalling arms, rather than shutters. The need for semaphore ceased in 1847 when it was replaced by the electric telegraph.
Gates, William G, 1900, Illustrated History of Portsmouth (Bibliographic reference). SPM299.
Hunt, Bob, 2005, Portsdown Tunnels (Bibliographic reference). SPM245.
Sources/Archives (2)
- --- SPM245 Bibliographic reference: Hunt, Bob. 2005. Portsdown Tunnels.
- --- SPM299 Bibliographic reference: Gates, William G. 1900. Illustrated History of Portsmouth.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 665 064 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM