Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM1703 - Stone Monogram, Captains Row

Summary

Carved stone bearing the monogram 'JR 1687', originally located in one of the salient walls of the Camber Bastion. The stone was incorporarted into the wall of a new building at the entrance to Captains Row when the site was redeveloped in 1988.

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Carved stone bearing the monogram 'JR 1687', originally located in one of the salient walls of the Camber Bastion (see MPM13). The stone was incorporarted into the wall of a new building at the entrance to Captains Row when the bastion site was redeveloped in 1988.

The entry in the museum collections database (1960/83) for the stone monogram now at Captains Row states that it was one of two monograms released when the bastion was demolished in 1935. The location of the second is not known.


Fox, R, 1991, Portsmouth's Ramparts Revisited (Bibliographic reference). SPM351.

Riley, Ray, 2016, Decline and Fall of Urban Industrial Archaeology? The Portsmouth Case (Bibliographic reference). SPM352.

Portsmouth Museum Service, N/A, Portsmouth Museum Service Collections Database (Index). SPM424.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- SPM351 Bibliographic reference: Fox, R. 1991. Portsmouth's Ramparts Revisited.
  • --- SPM352 Bibliographic reference: Riley, Ray. 2016. Decline and Fall of Urban Industrial Archaeology? The Portsmouth Case.
  • --- SPM424 Index: Portsmouth Museum Service. N/A. Portsmouth Museum Service Collections Database.

Protected Status/Designation

  • Conservation Area 4: Old Portsmouth

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 631 993 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM