Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM1761 - Southsea Citadel, Albert Road
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Red brick building designed by Alec Gordon and constructed by Thomas Morgan of London in 1897 [1]. Foundation stone date 1897, laid May 1897 [2]. The citadel replaced an iron building, the Salvation Army Fortress, which occupied the site between 1890/1 and 1896 [1, 3]. When the building was opened in September 1897 it could accommodate 750 people and had school rooms for 366 children [1].
Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.
<1> Portsmouth Evening News, 1897, Portsmouth Evening News (Bibliographic reference). SPM478.
<2> Portsmouth Evening News, 1897, Portsmouth Evening News (Bibliographic reference). SPM479.
<3> 1800s - 1976, Kelly's Street Directories (Bibliographic reference). SPM38.
Sources/Archives (4)
- --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.
- <1> SPM478 Bibliographic reference: Portsmouth Evening News. 1897. Portsmouth Evening News.
- <2> SPM479 Bibliographic reference: Portsmouth Evening News. 1897. Portsmouth Evening News.
- <3> SPM38 Bibliographic reference: 1800s - 1976. Kelly's Street Directories.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SZ 651 989 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM