Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM1770 - St Saviour's Church
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Anglican Church built in 1913, designed by A. E. Cogswell. Originally a Mission church to St Mark's, St Saviour's replaced an earlier iron building erected in Walden Road in 1903. The red brick church contains a Lady Chapel, Sanctuary and St John's Chapel. The latter commemorates the former church of St John the Baptist, Rudmore, which was converted into flats in the 1980s (see MPM736). The chapel is enclosed in a wooden screen in the south aisle and contains the altar and ornaments from St John's. At the east end of the church above the altar is a 1914/18 War Memorial Window designed by Heaton Butler and Bayne depicting 'Christ in Majesty' surrounded by St George and various Saints.
Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 645 027 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM