Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM1787 - Factory/100 Store
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Factory built in 1903, with later alterations/additions. The building was the largest engineering workshop in the dockyard. Thick brick peripheral walls. The roof is thought to have originally been slate, but wartime records suggest it also contained glass. Stone plaques bearing the date of construction have been set into the brickwork above the main west door and north pediment. The factory's power was supplied by its own engine house, the three bays belonging to this are situated on the north elevation. The central bay has the date 1903.
The largest building in the dockyard, the factory occupies the site of earlier timber sheds and brickfields. It has had various different uses during its history, and in 1929 contained a Torpedo Shop, Erecting Shop and Fitting Shop.
Naval Dockyards Society, 2015, 20th Century Naval Dockyards: Devonport and Portsmouth Characterisation Report (Bibliographic reference). SPM399.
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SPM399 Bibliographic reference: Naval Dockyards Society. 2015. 20th Century Naval Dockyards: Devonport and Portsmouth Characterisation Report.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 639 009 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM