Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM1802 - Site of farmstead, Great Horsea Island

Summary

Farming took place on Great Horsea Island from at least the 17th century and buildings are marked on a c1665 map. The land was mainly used for grazing/pasture, but some crops were also grown. Great Horsea was joined to Little Horsea island to form Horsea Island when a torpedo testing range and Naval Research Establishment was constructed in the 1880s. Great Horsea island was still used for farming until c1920 and the Georgian farmhouse was demolished in 1933.

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Farming took place on Great Horsea Island from at least the 17th century until c1920. The island is situated in the north-east corner of Portsmouth Harbour, and was originally one of two separate islands with Little Horsea to the west (see MPM1804). Great Horsea and Little Horsea were joined to form one island, 'Horsea Island', when a torpedo testing range and Naval Research Establishment was constructed in the 1880s. The island has been joined to the mainland since the 1970s.

Buildings in the south-east corner of the Island are marked on La Favelure's map of c1665 as 'Horsea House', with 'Rich Stubber' named as the owner/occupier. Farming is known to have been taking place during this period as tenant farmers are recorded in surviving 17th century records.

In c1740 a red-brick farmhouse and outbuildings, including two thatched barns, were constructed. These buildings were renovated in 1868. They presumably replaced earlier buildings on the site. Farming continued on Great Horsea until c1920 when repeated flooding rendered it unusuable for growing crops. The Georgian farmhouse was occupied until 1922 when it fell into a state of disrepair and it was subsequently demolished in 1933. Grazing continued after this date.

The 108 acres of farmland, 58 of which were below the high tide mark, were drained by ditches with self-acting sluices. Parts of the island were salt marsh, with much of the remainder used for coarse grazing or pasture. The construction of barns during the 18th century implies that cereal production also took place, and when the Admiralty purchased the island in 1885 this included payment for standing crops.

The island was originally accessed by three wade ways. These ran from the south-east corner to Tipner, north-east corner to Hilsea, and the eastern shore to Stamshaw. The Tipner wade way fell into disuse during the late-18th century, and the Hilsea wade way was destroyed by flooding during the First World War. The island was joined to the mainland during the 1970s. Part of the Stamshaw wade way, known as 'Lower Wade Way', is still marked on ordnance survey maps.


<1> Ripley, Basil, 1982, Horsea Island and The Royal Naval (Bibliographic reference). SPM410.

<2> La Favelure, c1600, Map of Portsmouth Haven, Portsea Island, Hayling Island, and adjoining country, drawn by La Favelure (Map). SPM404.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> SPM410 Bibliographic reference: Ripley, Basil. 1982. Horsea Island and The Royal Naval.
  • <2> SPM404 Map: La Favelure. c1600. Map of Portsmouth Haven, Portsea Island, Hayling Island, and adjoining country, drawn by La Favelure.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SU 642 040 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM