Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM1805 - Site of Baffins Farm
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
A farm existed at Baffins from around the early 1700s until the 1930s. The farmstead was located towards the south-east corner of Baffins Pond. A farm is not marked within the area on 17th century maps of Portsea Island and a saltworks and a 'Fresh Marsh' are shown within the general area (1, 2). The pond is shown on the west side of the salterns on a map dated 1660/70, but no buildings are marked (9). The 1716 map by Edwards (3) shows the pond, possibly with a building nearby. A lease of 1737 concerns the right to dig sand to the east of the farm, showing it existed from at least this date (4). The farm was split in two in 1798 with 106 acres leased to William Sheldon and 120 acres together with the farmhouse to George Smith (5). The 1838 Portsea Tithe Apportionment records the farmstead as being the second homestead of Andrew Nance junior, the land being leased from Sophia Leeke (6). A fire in 1852 destroyed all of the buildings except the farmhouse (5). The farmstead was demolished between 1932 and 1938, and was located within the area now occupied by tennis courts (7, 8). The pond remains.
<1> La Favelure, c1600, Map of Portsmouth Haven, Portsea Island, Hayling Island, and adjoining country, drawn by La Favelure (Map). SPM404.
<2> 1666-1670, 1666-70 Portsea Island, Hayling, Gosport (with Cosham, Portchester etc.) (Map). SPM405.
<3> Edwards, Talbot, 1716, A Plan of Portsmouth and parts adjacent, finished in the year 1716 (Cartographic materials). SPM406.
<4> 1737, Right to dig sand at Baffins Farm (Unpublished document). SPM413.
<5> Shuttleworth, Suzanne, 1993, Farms and Market Gardens on Portsea Island 1770-1880 (Bibliographic reference). SPM403.
<6> Owen, Thomas Ellis, 1838, Portsea Tithe Map and Apportionment (Map). SPM235.
<7> Ordnance Survey, 1932, Ordnance Survey Map 1932 (Map). SPM354.
<8> Ordnance Survey, 1938, Ordnance Survey Map 1938 (Map). SPM378.
<9> 1666-1670, 1666-70 Portsea Island, Hayling, Gosport (with Cosham, Portchester etc.) (Map). SPM405.
Sources/Archives (9)
- <1> SPM404 Map: La Favelure. c1600. Map of Portsmouth Haven, Portsea Island, Hayling Island, and adjoining country, drawn by La Favelure.
- <2> SPM405 Map: 1666-1670. 1666-70 Portsea Island, Hayling, Gosport (with Cosham, Portchester etc.).
- <3> SPM406 Cartographic materials: Edwards, Talbot. 1716. A Plan of Portsmouth and parts adjacent, finished in the year 1716.
- <4> SPM413 Unpublished document: 1737. Right to dig sand at Baffins Farm.
- <5> SPM403 Bibliographic reference: Shuttleworth, Suzanne. 1993. Farms and Market Gardens on Portsea Island 1770-1880. 61.
- <6> SPM235 Map: Owen, Thomas Ellis. 1838. Portsea Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <7> SPM354 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1932. Ordnance Survey Map 1932.
- <8> SPM378 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1938. Ordnance Survey Map 1938.
- <9> SPM405 Map: 1666-1670. 1666-70 Portsea Island, Hayling, Gosport (with Cosham, Portchester etc.).
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | Centred SU 667 011 (220m by 114m) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM