Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM1820 - Paving, Milldam House
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Historic paving outside Milldam House on the north and south sides of the access road off Burnaby Road. The paving probably dates to between 1764 and 1774 when contracts were first issued for the paving of Portsea (then Portsmouth Common) and Portsmouth. The contracts state that materials used to pave the areas included square pitchers and planters, Purbeck stone for kerbs and steps, and brick gutters. Horse ways and carriage ways were to be paved with new Guernsey Pebbles.
Fox, Russ, 1990s, Historic Paving (Stone) (Unpublished document). SPM430.
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SPM430 Unpublished document: Fox, Russ. 1990s. Historic Paving (Stone).
Protected Status/Designation
- Conservation Area 18: Guildhall and Victoria Park
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | Centred SU 635 001 (30m by 15m) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM