Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM1870 - Southsea Branch Line

Summary

Site of a railway branch line to Southsea which operated between 1885 and 1914.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

A branch line to Southsea was added to the railway in 1884-1885 by the Southsea Company, a local enterprise which had been set up by a local property owner called Lt-Col. E. Galt. The line, which branched off from the main railway at Fratton, opened on the 1st July 1885 and was leased by the LSWR and LBSCR. There was only one station with three platforms which was located at the terminal, together with a signal box. Wooden platforms were added at Jessie Road and Albert Road in 1903 to try to increase passenger numbers and the station was replaced by a wooden platform in the station yard to reduce running costs. The name was changed from Southsea to East Southsea Station in 1896.

Due to financial difficulties and competition with electric tramcars, service was withdrawn from the line on the 6th August 1914 and the tracks used as sidings. The line was officially closed in 1923, and the track was removed 1925-1926.


Course, Edwin, 1969, Portsmouth Railways (Bibliographic reference). SPM498.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- SPM498 Bibliographic reference: Course, Edwin. 1969. Portsmouth Railways.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference Centred SZ 6537 9919 (776m by 1677m)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM