Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM1872 - Former farm building, Meridien Milano

Summary

Site of former farm building, later part of the Meridien Milano garage site. Originally built c. mid-19th century with later alterations. Now demolished.

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

What appeared to be a former outbuilding to East Cosham Farm, possibly a barn, previously formed part of the Meridien Milano garage site in Cosham, now redeveloped as Dreton Lodge 111-115 Havant Road. The building was situated behind 111 Havant Road Cosham and was demolished in c.2023. 111 Havant Road is recorded in directories as being used as a motor garage from at least 1951 when it was listed as Southern Garages (Cosham) Ltd. Motor engineers. It is not possible to determine from directories or maps whether the former farm building formed part of the garage site at this date.

The following description was added when the building was recorded by the HER in 2018. The far western end had timber cladding/weatherboard and modern windows. A set of doors, possibly to a former hay loft, remained in the western elevation. The southern wall was largely of flint construction, although brick sections and windows had been added. The north wall was also of brick and flint with large modern openings cut into it. There was a flint-built curtilage wall on the eastern side of the site which was probably of 19th century date. The building had many modern alterations and additions relating to its use as a service and parts centre for the garage.

The building is marked on the 1870 Ordnance Survey map as the northern part of a range of farm buildings to East Cosham Farm. The building is roughly of the same shape, although at this date it had two extensions on the southern side (at the far western end and towards the centre). The section at the western end disappeared between 1932 and 1952, the other post 1952. A small extension was added to the northern side at the western end between 1870 and 1898. This section appeared to have been altered again at a later date. The farm buildings are not marked on the 1839 Wymering Tithe Map or the 1815 Wymering and Widley Enclosure Award. However, the Hampshire Record Office catalogue contains an entry for a bundle of deeds with covering dates 1675-1852 for 'a messuage and various lands in Wymering and Cosham, called by 1825, East Cosham Farm' which may relate to the site. The rest of the farm buildings were demolished in stages between 1910 and 1952.


1800s - 1976, Kelly's Street Directories (Bibliographic reference). SPM38.

1815, Wymering and Widley Enlosure Award (Cartographic materials). SPM504.

Lewis, 1839, Wymering Tithe Map (Map). SPM426.

Ordnance Survey, 1870, Ordnance Survey Map 1870 (Map). SPM282.

Ordnance Survey, 1898, Ordnance Survey Map 1898 (Map). SPM265.

Ordnance Survey, 1910, Ordnance Survey Map 1910 (Map). SPM266.

Ordnance Survey, 1932, Ordnance Survey Map 1932 (Map). SPM354.

Ordnance Survey, 1952, Ordnance Survey Map 1952 (Map). SPM67.

Sources/Archives (8)

  • --- SPM265 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1898. Ordnance Survey Map 1898.
  • --- SPM266 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1910. Ordnance Survey Map 1910.
  • --- SPM282 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1870. Ordnance Survey Map 1870.
  • --- SPM354 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1932. Ordnance Survey Map 1932.
  • --- SPM38 Bibliographic reference: 1800s - 1976. Kelly's Street Directories.
  • --- SPM426 Map: Lewis. 1839. Wymering Tithe Map.
  • --- SPM504 Cartographic materials: 1815. Wymering and Widley Enlosure Award.
  • --- SPM67 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1952. Ordnance Survey Map 1952.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference Centred SU 667 056 (37m by 14m)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM