Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM1912 - Rampart, South of Mill Pond
Summary
Map
Type and Period (2)
Full Description
The remains of a rampart constructed immediately to the south of the Mill Pond between 1668 and 1685 as part of Sir Bernard de Gomme's late-17th century defences were observed during a watching brief at the East Side Plaza, Gunwharf, in 2005.
The rampart consisted of coarse yellow/orange gravel. It extended 20m to the south at its widest point and survived to approximately 0.5m below ground.
A limestone 'counterscarp wall' marked the southern edge of the rampart. The wall had been constructed from rough limestone blocks, but there was no evidence of dressed stone facings. The wall was 1.4m wide by 0.7m high.
Keyte, Jim, 2005, East Side Plaza, Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth: Report on Archaeological Watching Brief (Unpublished document). SPM518.
Sources/Archives (1)
- ---XY SPM518 Unpublished document: Keyte, Jim. 2005. East Side Plaza, Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth: Report on Archaeological Watching Brief. [Mapped feature: #2184 ]
Protected Status/Designation
- Conservation Area 25: Gunwharf
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SZ 632 998 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM