Please read our on the use of HER data.

Landscape MPM2159 - Canoe Lake, Southsea

Summary

Seawater lake constructed 1885-86. Opened 17th June 1886.

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Canoe Lake in Southsea was opened on the 17th June 1886 [1, p160]. The artificial lake was constructed within an area of Southsea Common which had formerly been part of a large area of marshland known as the Great Morass [1, p155].

The area was said to have been littered with rubbish immediately prior to the construction of the lake, including garden refuse and tin pots [1, p155] [2, p5].

The site appears to have been known as the Minnow Pond prior to the construction of the lake [2, p5] [3, p2].

Canoe Lake was opened on the 17th June 1886 by the Mayor A. S. Blake Esq. on land leased from the War Department. 650ft long with an average depth of 2ft, filled by seawater. Designed by Borough Engineer H. P. Boulnois and constructed by T. P. Hall. [3, p2]

Lake occupies area 3 acres in size. 164ft long, average 2ft deep. Enclosed by a concrete wall. Culvert constructed to allow water to be changed with each tide. Culvert composed of wooden piles driven closely together, 72ft in length, two rows of concrete pipes 18in in diameter, each length 160ft. Penstock at western end to prevent sea breaking into the lake. Small portion of bottom of lake on bog land, most on gravely soil. Bottom of lake left in natural state. [4, p5]


The discovery of a human skeleton was reported during the excavation of Canoe Lake in 1885. Local newspaper reports stated that workmen came upon the skeleton of a large built man over six feet tall. The skull was missing but the jaw and leg bones were said to have been in a state of almost perfect preservation. It was thought the bones appeared to have been buried for 'many years'. The remains were taken to the Coastguard Station. [5, 6]

The find was reported in the Portsmouth Evening News (edition 03/09/1885 p3) and Hampshire Telegraph (edition 05/09/1885 p6).


<1> Gates, William G, 1928, City of Portsmouth Corporation Records 1835-1927 (Bibliographic reference). SPM356.

<2> The Hampshire Post, 1884, The Hampshire Post (Bibliographic reference). SPM694.

<3> Hampshire Telegraph, 1886, Hampshire Telegraph (Bibliographic reference). SPM695.

<4> The Hampshire Post, 1886, The Hampshire Post (Bibliographic reference). SPM696.

<5> Portsmouth Evening News, 1885, Portsmouth Evening News (Bibliographic reference). SPM692.

<6> Hampshire Telegraph, 1885, Hampshire Telegraph (Bibliographic reference). SPM693.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> SPM356 Bibliographic reference: Gates, William G. 1928. City of Portsmouth Corporation Records 1835-1927.
  • <2> SPM694 Bibliographic reference: The Hampshire Post. 1884. The Hampshire Post.
  • <3> SPM695 Bibliographic reference: Hampshire Telegraph. 1886. Hampshire Telegraph.
  • <4> SPM696 Bibliographic reference: The Hampshire Post. 1886. The Hampshire Post.
  • <5>XY SPM692 Bibliographic reference: Portsmouth Evening News. 1885. Portsmouth Evening News. [Mapped feature: #2691 ]
  • <6> SPM693 Bibliographic reference: Hampshire Telegraph. 1885. Hampshire Telegraph.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 654 983 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM