Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Monument MPM394 - Main Guard House
Summary
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
Main Guard House for the town garrison built 1714-1727. It replaced an earlier Guard House which had been located across Grand Parade near the High Street. The building would have played an important role in the defence of the town, as the sentries were posted to their positions around the town fortifications from here. The Guard House was demolished in 1883, after the Town Garrison had been disbanded and the fortifications were no longer in use. Its ground plan was reinstated using red brick and granite setts as part of an urban regeneration project in 1986.
Corney, A, 1973, Fortifications in Old Portsmouth - A Guide (Bibliographic reference). SPM388.
Fox, R, 1987, Archaeology in Hampshire Annual Report for 1986 (Bibliographic reference). SPM198.
Sources/Archives (2)
- --- SPM198 Bibliographic reference: Fox, R. 1987. Archaeology in Hampshire Annual Report for 1986.
- --- SPM388 Bibliographic reference: Corney, A. 1973. Fortifications in Old Portsmouth - A Guide.
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SZ 631 992 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM