Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM396 - Almshouses

Summary

Former early-17th century almshouses in Penny Street. Demolished 1843 to make way for the expansion of the Portsmouth Borough Gaol.

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Almshouses were erected between 1606 and 1639 on a site in Penny Street. They were on a site adjoining the Portsmouth Borough Goal in the early-19th century, and were demolished in 1843 when the Gaol was expanded [1]. An advertisement appeared in the Hampshire Telegraph on the 5th June 1843 for an auction at which the building materials from the demolished buildings were to be sold [2].


<1> Howell, Alexander, 1913, Notes on the Topography of Portsmouth (Bibliographic reference). SPM280.

<2> Hampshire Telegraph, 1843, Hampshire Telegraph (Bibliographic reference). SPM545.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> SPM280 Bibliographic reference: Howell, Alexander. 1913. Notes on the Topography of Portsmouth.
  • <2> SPM545 Bibliographic reference: Hampshire Telegraph. 1843. Hampshire Telegraph.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 635 994 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM