Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM407 - TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH

Summary

Wesleyan Methodist Church designed by R. J. Winnicott, opened in 1901. Re-named Trinity Methodist in 1932 when members of the Primitive Methodist Chapel joined the congregation. The building is the only surviving Victorian Wesleyan Church in Portsmouth.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Methodist Church designed by R. J. Winnicott, opened in 1901. Originally a Wesleyan Methodist Church. The building replaced a small iron church that had been erected on the site in 1892. This earlier temporary building was moved to Eastney Road when the new church was built, and became the Eastney Gospel Mission Hall.

The church was constructed using red and red/grey bricks in English bond and stone dressings, and has a slight classical feel, with Corinthian pillars, 'temple front' and campanile. Inside there are balconies on three sides, with an organ loft, choir, Minster's rostrum and Holy Table on the fourth.

The church was re-named Trinity Methodist in 1932, when the congregation were joined by members of the nearby Primitive Methodist Chapel in Albert Road when it closed (this building became the Apollo Cinema). Trinity Methodist is the only surviving Victorian Wesleyan Church in Portsmouth.


Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.

Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
  • --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.

Protected Status/Designation

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 6550 9898 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM