Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM474 - CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Summary
Map
Type and Period (3)
Full Description
Anglican Church designed in the 'Neo-Perpendicular' style by Jacob Owen, built 1825-1828. All Saints was originally a Chapel of Ease to St Mary, Portsea, and was made a Parish Church in 1835. The chancel, constructed from Bath stone, was added in 1877 and was possibly designed by John Scott. Carved bosses and corbles depict the emblems of the Trinity, Eucharist and implements of the Passion. Bas reliefs of the Reverend E. B. Churchill, who donated the money for the chancel, and his Parish Clerk, can be seen near the Sacristy door.
The church was badly damaged during the Second World War and subsequently restored in 1950. Part of the gallery at the west end was converted into offices and social spaces in 1975 by Makins, but no structural alterations were made. The east window commemorates the people of Portsmouth during the Second World War, together with notable local individuals, including Father Dolling (Vicar of St Agatha's Church).
Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.
Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.
Sources/Archives (2)
- --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
- --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.
Protected Status/Designation
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 6449 0098 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM