Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM476 - CHURCH OF ST ALBAN
Summary
Map
Type and Period (3)
Full Description
Anglican Parish Church built 1913/14 in the simplified Neo-Gothic style. The original church was designed by Charles Nicholson, and post war restoration carried out by S. E. Dykes Bower in 1956. St Alban's replaced a Chapel erected in 1907 as a daughter church to St Stephen's. This building became the Parish Hall, and was used for services when St Alban's was damaged during a bombing raid in the Second World War which destroyed much of the west end of the church. The interior contains many highly decorated fixtures and fittings by both Nicholson and Dykes Bower, including the Jacobean pulpit, rood and carved wooden lectern. The c16th century font belonged to the original 12th century St Mary's Church, Portsea. The cover was designed by Dykes Bower and has a gilded pelican on top. A fragment of stone carving from St Alban's Cathedral has been set into the north wall. The windows in the chancel and above the arch to the Lady Chapel were designed by A. K. Nicholson. The high Renaissance style chancel screen is by Dykes Bower.
Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.
Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.
Sources/Archives (2)
- --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
- --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.
Protected Status/Designation
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 660 018 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM