Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM497 - CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Summary
Map
Type and Period (2)
Full Description
Anglican Church designed by John Thomas Micklethwaite. Built between 1902 and 1924 at the instigation of the Rev. Bruce Cornford. The design is a 'Hall' Church in the 'Decorated Gothic' style. Originally dedicated to St Matthew, the name was later changed to Holy Spirit when the parishes of St Matthew and St Bartholomew were combined. The building was consecrated in 1903, although the shell was not completed until 1924. The church was completely gutted during a bombing raid in 1941 and post war restoration work was carried out by Stephen Dykes Bower between 1956-58.
Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.
Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.
Sources/Archives (2)
- --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
- --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.
Protected Status/Designation
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SZ 653 994 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM