Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM500 - FORMER GUARD HOUSE, FORT CUMBERLAND

Summary

Former guardhouse to Fort Cumberland built c. 1746/7. One of only two remaining buildings that survive from the first Fort Cumberland built in the 1740s. The guardhouse controlled access to the fort until Fort Cumberland was remodelled c.1782-1812 when the main entrance was moved and a new guardhouse constructed. The guardhouse building has had various uses including offices, a rope store, cinema and lecture theatre and a chapel.

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

Former guardhouse at Fort Cumberland built c1747. The guardhouse is of particular architectural and historic interest as it is one of only two buildings that survive from the first Fort Cumberland built in the 1740s. The other building is the Storehouse which was later converted for use as a hospital (see MPM501). Although originally constructed as a guardhouse the building has also been used as offices, a rope store, cinema and lecture theatre and a chapel. A survey of the guardhouse carried out in c.1999 revealed a complex structural sequence due to the many alterations made during the buildings history.

The guardhouse originally controlled access to the 1740s fort where a sally port gave direct access to a ravelin on the western side of the fort. There was also a gunner's barracks on the first floor. The buildings function changed when the main entrance was moved to the Left Curtain when Fort Cumberland was remodelled between 1782 and 1812 and a new guardhouse was constructed in the adjacent ramparts. In the mid-19th century the building was converted for use as offices. Following a period of disrepair the building was converted into a rope store in the early 20th century when significant alterations were made. These included the arcade and ground floor windows being blocked, internal walls and much of the first floor being removed to create an open shell. An earlier tile covered hipped roof was replaced by a slate covered pitched roof and large access doors were inserted through east and west elevations.

Post-1940 further alterations were made when the building was used as a cinema and lecture theatre for educational and training lectures and films. The missing central section of the upper floor was reinstated in cast concrete. A raised timber stage was constructed at the western end of the room and an asbestos film projection booth partitioned off at the eastern end. The first floor was also used as chapel at this time.

Evidence of the various alterations observed in the fabric of the building was recorded during the survey in c.1999. The report should be consulted for the full details. [1]


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guardhouse, now store. c1746. Red brick in English bond. Corrugated asbestos roof, cast-iron stack on right. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 bays. Centre 3 bays project. Front facing south has 7 arcaded bays, each with gauged brick round arch. Brick band at impost level. Set within the centre bay and on left, bay 2 and right, bay 6 is a C20 brick infill with a 12-pane centre transomed casement, with segmental head set under middle part of round arch. Each of the flanking 4 bays are blinded, end bays recessed. On first floor are six 9-pane sashes each set under a gauged brick segmental arch. On far right is a boarded hatch door set under similar segmental brick arch lower than window arches, and approached by iron ladder and landing. On right return is a 2-leaf boarded door with 16-pane fanlight set under gauged brick round arch. Left return similar but with 2-leaf panelled door on right of opening and boarded side panel on left. Rear elevation facing north has three C20 metal casements each set under flat concrete arch with concrete sill. First floor has at centre a boarded hatch door set under gauged brick segmental arch approached by iron stairs and landing. On left are 3 and one right four 9-pane unequal sashes, stone sills. On far left is a similar hatch approached by timber stairs and landing. (Balfour A: Portsmouth: London: 1970-: 22; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 62; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1967-: 428).

Selected Sources
Books and journals
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 22
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 62
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 428

[2]


<1> Fellows, David, 2003, Report on the Survey of the Guardhouse at Fort Cumberland (Bibliographic reference). SPM660.

<2> Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> SPM660 Bibliographic reference: Fellows, David. 2003. Report on the Survey of the Guardhouse at Fort Cumberland.
  • <2> SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.

Protected Status/Designation

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 6824 9924 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM