Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM528 - THE GUILDHALL
Summary
Map
Type and Period (3)
Full Description
Designed by William Hill of Leeds, the foundation stone to the original Town Hall was laid in 1886, and the building was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales on the 9th August 1890. It became known as the Guildhall when Portsmouth was awarded City status in 1926. The building suffered servere bomb damage on the 10th January 1941, and the interior and rear elevation had to be completely rebuilt. Reconstruction work began in 1955 and the present Guildhall was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on the 8th June 1959.
Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.
Gates, William G, 1900, Illustrated History of Portsmouth (Bibliographic reference). SPM299.
Sources/Archives (2)
- --- SPM299 Bibliographic reference: Gates, William G. 1900. Illustrated History of Portsmouth.
- --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
Protected Status/Designation
- Conservation Area 18: Guildhall and Victoria Park
- Listed Building (II) 1104316: THE GUILDHALL
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 640 001 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM