Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM53 - Eastney Barracks

Summary

Remaining sections of large defensible barracks complex built between 1862 and 1871 and designed by William Scamp. Most of the complex was converted to housing in the mid-1990s and is now known as Marine Gate. The Officers Mess was converted to become the Royal Marines Museum, which closed c.2016/17.

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Large defensible barracks designed by William Scamp (Assistant Director of the Admiralty Works Department) built between 1862 and 1871. Buildings include former offices and clock tower, main barrack block, gaurdroom, officer's quarters and officer's mess. [1]

Remaining sections of the once vast complex of mid-19th century date. Includes Eastney Terrace, the Clock Tower, main barrack block and Officers Mess. Most of the complex was converted to housing in the mid-1990s and is now known as Marine Gate. The Officers Mess was converted to become the Royal Marines Museum. [2]

Individual buildings that make up the former barracks complex are recorded separately on the HER under entry numbers MPM480-483 and MPM485-86. The complex also included two forts, Eastney Fort East and Eastney Fort West (see MPM50 and MPM51).


<1> Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.

<2> Portsmouth City Council, n/a, Portsmouth City SMR Cards (Index). SPM1.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
  • <2> SPM1 Index: Portsmouth City Council. n/a. Portsmouth City SMR Cards.

Protected Status/Designation

  • Conservation Area 17: Eastney Barracks

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (8)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 667 988 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM