Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM575 - PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
Summary
Map
Type and Period (4)
- INFANTRY BARRACKS (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1855 AD (between) to 1926 AD (between))
- OFFICERS MESS (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1855 AD (between) to 1926 AD (between))
- GRAMMAR SCHOOL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1926 AD to 2050 AD)
- INFANTRY BARRACKS (Built, Victorian - 1855 AD (between) to 1860 AD (between))
Full Description
Formerly known as: Cambridge Barracks HIGH STREET. Barracks officers' quarters and mess, now grammar school. c1855-60, by the Inspector-General of Fortification's office; school since 1926. Yellow stock and grey bricks. Shallow pitched Welsh slate hipped roof, brick stack with moulded stone cap on left of bays 4/5, 8/9, 13/14, 18/19. Late Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth plan of 4 room units divided by chimneys and separated by transverse passages with rear doorways; former mess in deeper section at left-hand end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. 40-window range. The 2 flanking bays on each side of the central open archway, and 5 bays at each end, project slightly. At centre is a wide splayed stone-framed round archway with impost, vermiculated keystone and plinth, similar lower and narrower arched openings each side, to a vaulted through passage. On each side are eighteen 6/6 pane sashes each set under a flat-gauged brick head with stone sills; 40 similar first-floor sashes. Stone plat band, cornice with ornate stone brackets and stone coped parapet. At centre above parapet is a royal cartouche in stone with supporters. Rear has steps across basement areas up to doorways, and flat-headed 6/6 pane sashes, as the front. Officer's mess set forward with a central round-arched doorway with radial fanlights and tripartite window above. INTERIOR: has large former mess, now library, on first floor, with an axial central stair with cast-iron balusters to a central axial passage; contains original doors and plasterwork. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron spear-headed forecourt railings. HISTORY: contained officers' and servants' rooms, with kitchens and mess rooms. Portsmouth Grammar School, founded in 1732, took over the former officers' barracks in 1926. With the other sections of the old Cambridge Barracks (qqv), this is a good and complete mid C19 example. It is the only remaining one from an area just inside the old Portsmouth Lines with a large concentration of barracks in the C19, and the irregular layout is a rare survival reflecting the former cramped location of the old barracks. (Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 44,47,82,83,106; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1967-: 448, 449).
Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.
Sources/Archives (1)
- --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
Protected Status/Designation
- Conservation Area 4: Old Portsmouth
- Listed Building (II) 1333199: PORTSMOUTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SZ 6353 9954 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM