Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM590 - CHURCH OF ST JUDE

Summary

Anglican Church designed and built by the architect Thomas Ellis Owen with later additions. Opened in 1851.

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Consecrated in 1851, St Jude's Church was designed and built by the architect Thomas Ellis Owen. The spire was paid for by a grant from the Admiralty as it became a navigational aid to ships in the Solent. The galleries, chapel and vestry were added in 1897. A 'mausoleum' to the Lanyon family dates to c1887-93 and contains a marble bas-relief to Florence Lanyon (died 1883) by the sculptor Onslow Ford. The mausoleum only contains memorials as the Lanyon family were buried elsewhere. The east window was given to the church as a memorial to Jacob Owen (father of T. E. Owen) in 1875.


Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.

Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
  • --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.

Protected Status/Designation

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 643 989 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM