Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM6 - Kings Storehouse

Summary

Site of storehouse originally built in 1513 and subsequently rebuilt after a fire in 1557. The stone building was encased in brick in 1775. The storehouse was demolished in 1963.

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Rough-built stone building 234 feet long with stone doorway and 5 sets of windows on two floors. Built 1513, but burnt down 1557, rebuilt. Encased in brick circa 1785. Demolished May-June 1963. [1]

A 16th century iron window grill, rescued when the building was being demolished, is held within the collections of Portsmouth Museum Service. Accession number 1963/101. [2]

Portsmouth Museum Service also holds sketches (1977/222-226) and copies of photographs (1974/786-810) produced during a building survey that was carried out prior to the buildings demolition in 1963. [3,4]


<1> Portsmouth City Council, n/a, Portsmouth City SMR Cards, SZ69NW3 (Index). SPM1.

<2> 1963, Iron window grill (Artifact). SPM546.

<3> 1963, King's Storehouse survey (Graphic material). SPM657.

<4> 1963, King's Storehouse survey (Photograph). SPM656.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> SPM1 Index: Portsmouth City Council. n/a. Portsmouth City SMR Cards. SZ69NW3.
  • <2> SPM546 Artifact: 1963. Iron window grill.
  • <3> SPM657 Graphic material: 1963. King's Storehouse survey.
  • <4> SPM656 Photograph: 1963. King's Storehouse survey.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 632 995 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM