Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM696 - HMS NELSON: GYMNASIUM (BUILDING NUMBER 81)

Summary

Former military drill hall, now a naval gymnasium. Late-19th century, probably 1893, with 20th century alterations.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Former military drill hall, now a naval gymnasium. Built during the late-19th century, believed to be 1893, designed by Superintendent Engineer Colonel Sir Henry Pilkington RE. North-west elevation probably built c1900. Wartime damage of c1940 made good. Further alterations carried out during the late-20th century, including rebuilding of part of south-east elevation in 1992.

The building was originally the drill hall for the Duke of Connaught's Wessex Regiment, and one of the window tympana of the south-east elevation bears a lamb, the device of the Wessex Regiment. Covered drill halls were introduced in the 1880s, for drill practice and manoeuvres in wet weather. Part of the first naval barracks at Portsmouth, comparable with the large drill halls at Chatham and Devonport. The complex was formerly known as HMS Nelson.


Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.

Protected Status/Designation

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SU 639 005 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM