Please read our terms and conditions on the use of HER data.
Building MPM714 - CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
Summary
Map
Type and Period (4)
Full Description
Originally known as the 'Chapel of St George', the church was built between 1753 and 1754 by public subscription. Dockyard shipwrights constructed the building under the direction of Nicholas Vass, resulting in it becoming known as 'the shipwrights' church'. Consecrated in 1754, the church was originally a Chapel of Ease to St Mary's, Portsea, becoming a Parish Church in 1875.
The church was constructed of red brick with grey headers. Two small pavilions on the west façade provide access to pews in the balcony. The interior of the church is square with a cruciform shaped barrel roof supported by four stone pillars. There are wooden galleries containing box pews on the west, north and south sides, supported by timber fluted piers on high pedestals. A Royal Coat of Arms in the west gallery dates to before 1792. The ground floor box pews have been removed.
The church was badly damaged during the Second World War, and was restored in 1952 and 1972. Following the war the church came under the jurisdiction of Portsmouth Cathedral, and was awarded Parish status again in 1981.
Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.
Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.
Sources/Archives (2)
- --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
- --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.
Protected Status/Designation
- Conservation Area 22: HM Naval Base and St George's Sqaure
- Listed Building (II*) 1387161: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
Other Statuses/References
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Finds (0)
Location
| Grid reference | SU 633 000 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Record last edited
Jul 1 2026 11:51AM