Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM736 - CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Summary

Former Anglican Church of St John the Baptist built 1915-16. Designed by John Coleridge, a pupil of Edwin Lutyens. The building is now used as retirement flats.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Former Anglican Church of St John the Baptist built 1915-16. The building is a plain brick basilica church designed by John Coleridge, a pupil of Edwin Lutyens. It replaced a tin mission hall that had been used in Rudmore as a mission to St Mark's Church and Winchester College during the early 1900s. The semi-dome above the former High Altar has a mosaic ceiling of the Crucified Christ with Mary and John, by Philip Suffolk. There are also windows depicting the Nativity in the former Lady Chapel by the artist Karl Parsons (1884-1934) of the Arts and Craft movement. The nave's timber roof was destroyed by fire during a Second World War bombing raid, but was restored in 1951. The Lady Chapel was restored in 1963. The building was converted into 40 retirement flats in 1986/7.


Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.

Offord, J, 1989, Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island (Bibliographic reference). SPM39.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
  • --- SPM39 Bibliographic reference: Offord, J. 1989. Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island.

Protected Status/Designation

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SU 644 020 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM