Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM789 - FREDERICKS BATTERY

Summary

Part of the dockyard sea defence wall built 1843-48. The battery was located originally just to the west of the present No.15 dock. Dismantled and re-erected in present position in 1867.

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Part of the dockyard sea defence wall. Built 1843-48, under direction of Captain H James, RE. Dismantled and re-erected in present position in 1867. Approximately 50 metre length of wall with end towers. Towers of 2 stages (to north) and 3 stages (to south), battered, and with round- arched openings (some blocked), and vertical and looped cruciform slits. Wall has walkway backed by parapet wall carried on 7 vaulted casemates (6 segmental-arched, 1 round-arched), the rear wall of each casemate having a blocked rectangular opening, probably coal shute hole (the casements were used as coal stores at one stage), and the central one a large entrance way. Projecting section of walling at right end has slits over 4 round-arched entrances, the 2 at centre blocked, the outer 2 with ashlar tympana carved with date 1886, and cipher.

The battery was located originally just to the west of the present No.15 dock. At the time of the re- erection of the battery, it extended to the Round Tower but the northern end was demolished in 1912 to make way for a rail link


Historic England, The National Heritage List for England (Index). SPM35.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • ---XY SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. [Mapped feature: #525 ]

Protected Status/Designation

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SU 639 012 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM