Please read our .

Listed Building: THE CLOCK TOWER (A FLEMING SOUTHSEA LTD) (1386932)

Grade II
Authority Historic England
NHLE UID 1386932
Date assigned 18 March 1999
Date last amended

Description

Antiques shop, later car showroom with flat, then reverted back to antiques shop. c1903. By WJ Walmsley. Ornamental panelled timber frame with stucco infill, brick in Flemish bond. Plain clay tiled roof with at left, centre and right 3 brick stacks each with moulded stone cap and a group of tall moulded clay chimney pots. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic to centre, 3 wide bays. On left the entrance is set within the splayed corner at junction with Great Southsea Street and has a 2-leaf half glazed door, right leaf 2-lights wide and left 1-light wide, with 1-light wide fixed screen on each side, overlight with intersecting curved glazing bars with diamond leaded light panel over, flanked by Ionic wood pilasters each with chevron moulded shaft within recessed panel. At each corner is an ornate figure head (made in the dockyard). Band fascia and cornice. First floor has a tripartite transomed oriel with front and flanking 2-light diamond leaded light casements, shaped wood apron, fascia and cornice with pediment over centre and a curved pediment over each flanking casement. Tall octagonal timber-framed tower base supporting square clocktower, bracket at each corner. Clock face on each side with curved wood pediment over bezel, cornice and scalloped lead swept tented roof with weathervane. In lieu of clock numerals are the letters ERNEST SMITH. On right return facing Castle Road are 2 large shop windows each divided by a slim colonnette with shaped brackets and rope moulded lower half, top light over each window has leaded lights with stained glass. To right is a former door opening now with C20 infill, shaped wood brackets support rounded pedimental entablature with shell relief to tympanum. Windows and former doorway have flanking Ionic pilasters similar to entrance. Further right are two 2-light transomed wood casements with leaded lights and stained glass each set within an eared and shouldered stone architrave with a stone cartouche over, left with initials ES and 'Ne Cade Malis Sed Contra', right has 'anno domini 1903'. First floor on left and right set within timber frieze is a 4-light transomed casement with diamond leaded lights, stained glass over transom. Moulded wood projecting eaves with curved plaster soffit. At centre is a shallow oriel with similar 4-light transomed casement at front and narrow flanking casements. Front has two C20 replacement casements. Attic has similar but shorter 4-light casement without transom, facing gable with projecting verge and bargeboards. Elevation facing Great Southsea Street is similar. INTERIOR: unaltered. Building was constructed as an antiques shop and was leased by Ernest Smith who died 1922. Ford Motor Company then took over the lease and it became a car showroom with upstairs used as a flat. C1941 taken over by the present firm A Fleming Southsea Ltd. (Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 102, 103.; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1973-: 46). Selected Sources Books and journals Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 102,103 Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1973), 46

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.

Map

Location

Grid reference SZ 6402 9926 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Sep 18 2015 2:45PM