Please read our .

Listed Building: TOWN BOUNDARY STONE AT JUNCTION OF LONDON ROAD AND TORRINGTON ROAD (1333457)

Grade II
Authority Historic England
NHLE UID 1333457
Date assigned 10 January 1953
Date last amended

Description

Town boundary stone. 1799. Stone. 4 sided obelisk set on corniced pedestal. Borough arms in relief on obelisk and inscriptions which read: "Burgi De Portesmouth, Liberatum Limer", and on base "Anno Domini MDCCXCIX". Bronze plaque reads "This stone marks the Boundary of the Borough of Portsmouth prior to the extension of 1832". (Berridge DW: Monument and Memorials in the City of Portsmouth: 1984-: 26; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1967-: 463). Listing NGR: SU6537403199 Selected Sources Book Reference - Author: Berridge, D W - Title: Monuments and Memorials in the City of Portsmouth - Date: 1984 - Page References: 26 Book Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1967 - Page References: 463

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.

Map

Location

Grid reference SU 6537 0319 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Oct 2 2014 12:29PM