Please read our .

Listed Building: EASTNEY DEPOT: ENGINE HOUSE (1104347)

Grade II
Authority Historic England
NHLE UID 1104347
Date assigned 25 September 1972
Date last amended 18 March 1999

Description

Engine house, formerly part of Portsmouth Corporation Pumping Station, now workshop and store. 1865. Red brick in Flemish bond, yellow and blue brick dressings. Low pitch Welsh slate roof, hipped to centre part and with roof ventilation to right wing. Centre part 2 storeys, 1 bay; each wing 1 storey, right hand 3 bays, left hand blinded. West elevation facing Henderson Road, centre part has brick quoin strips with brick plinth and moulded stone cap. At centre is a tall triple stepped recessed panel running through first floor with stepped round brick arch at eaves level. Set within panel is the original gauged brick rounded window arch with C20 brick infill below and metal casement set under flat stone arch, blue and yellow brick band at springing level of arch. Moulded stone string course at first floor and half-round radial glazed metal casement set within gauged brick round arch. Moulded stone eaves course. On right 1-storey wing has 3 metal casements with radial glazing, one 6-pane, one 15-pane and one 16-pane each set under gauged yellow brick round arch with keystone. Stone eaves course. Pump house, boiler house, and chimney (qv) form a group with the engine house and gas engine house (qv).

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SZ 673 992 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Feb 10 2016 2:59PM