Please read our guidance page about heritage designations.
Listed Building: CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (1104269)
| Grade | II |
|---|---|
| Authority | Historic England |
| NHLE UID | 1104269 |
| Date assigned | 10 January 1953 |
| Date last amended |
Description
Roman Catholic cathedral. 1877-81 by J Crawley; 1881-96 by J Hansom; 1906 by Canon Alexander Scoles; restored following bomb damage 1945-50; re-ordered 1971. Red brick in Flemish bond with Portland stone dressings; plain tile roof. Decorated style. PLAN: 6-bay nave with clerestory; 6-bay aisles, western bays canted, north aisle with apsidal chapel (1925) new baptistry; west portal and 2 bell turrets (1906); crossing with transepts (1886); chancel with apse, north and south chapels, and south porch (1893). EXTERIOR: offset plinth; strings; eaves bands; gableted buttresses with offsets rising into gableted and crocketed finials; traceried windows, mostly of 2-lights with 3-light windows to clerestory and some spherical triangle windows, all having hoodmoulds and sill strings (tracery of all but south transept window restored 1945-50); board doors with decorative iron hinges in pointed-arched surrounds of several orders with carved tympana; brick parapet to nave, pierced ashlar parapet to chancel, similar blind parapet to baptistry; cross finials. West end: portal has elaborate central door in projecting gableted surround flanked by 3-light windows: a door to each return; nave has tripled 2-light windows, stepped spherical triangle over, flanked by octagonal bell towers with slit windows, louvred belfry openings, spires, and metal finials. South transept has a blind arcade below round window with spherical triangle to gable. 5-light window to north transept. Decorative metal gate in front of chancel south door. INTERIOR: pointed arched arcades and openings having clustered columns with decorative leafy capitals. Vaulted wooden ceilings with moulded ribs, pierced bands, and cusped trusses; plainer roofs to aisles. Good quality fittings include marble altar and reredos to Lady Chapel, tessellated chapel floors and free standing stations of the cross. (Balfour A: Portsmouth: Highgate Hill, N19: 1970-: 57, 58; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 129, 130; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1973-: 431, 432; Hubbuck R: Portsmouth: 1969-1976: 21; Offord J: Church, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island:
Southsea: 1989-: 102, 103, 104).
Selected Sources
Books and journals
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 57,58
Hubbuck, R, Portsmouth, (1969-1976), 21
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 129,130
Offord, J , Churches Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island, (1989), 102-104
Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1973), 431,432
External Links (1)
- View details on the National Heritage List for England (From EH UDS to Legacy x-reference)
Sources (1)
- SPM35 Index: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England.
Location
| Grid reference | SU 6392 0047 (point) |
|---|---|
| Unitary Authority | Portsmouth City |
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2016 3:47PM