Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM203 - The former Dog and Duck Public House

Summary

Former Dog and Duck Public House restored by Hampshire Building Preservation Trust in 1981 when three main phases of construction were identified. The first phase, a traditional cottage plan, dates to c.1600 or earlier. The second phase had been built at a right angle to the first and dated to the Georgian period. The third phase dated to the late-19th century and consisted of a single storey with a cellar. This last phase is noted as having been demolished during conversion work. The building has also been used as a bank, and is currently a day nursery.

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

An inspection in December 1981 suggested the building had been constructed in three main phases. The first phase, a traditional cottage plan measuring approximately 32 ft long by 16ft wide, dates to c.1600 or earlier. This included a massive brick chimney stack and staircase, and an 'H' shaped fireplace forming into an 'L' shaped chimney stack of 3 flues. There is evidence that 2/4 inch bricks were used in the construction of the fireplace and chimneys, which suggested the date for the buildings construction. The brickwork of the north wall probably dates to 1750-1800.

The second phase had been built at a right angle to the first, and dated to the Georgian period. Oak beams and joists had been used in the construction of the first floor, and some fine panelling had survived at this level. There were two substantial chimney stacks, and a cellar under the front portion of the building. Brickwork of Flemish bond was used for part of the exterior walling, which was probably contemporary with the north wall of phase one, dating to 1750-1800.

The third phase dates to the late 19th century, and consisted of a single storey with a cellar under the southern part.

[1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An inspection of the property made on 2nd December 1981 revealed that the building has three phases of construction, the first dating from at least circa 1600. The brickwork of the north wall suggests a date of 1750 - 1800, and there is Georgian panelling at first floor level. Part of the exterior walling is in brickwork of Flemish Bond, probably dating from 1750 - 1800. The final phase of construction dates from the late ninteenth century.

[2]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Dog and Duck Public House restored by Hampshire Building Preservation Trust. Later used as a bank, offices and now a day nursery. 19th century front bar extension demolished during conversion. Mixture of rendered brick & tile hung elevations with tiled roofs. The rear section fronting Garnier Street has a mansard roof.

[3]


<1> Fox, R, 1982, Archaeology in Hampshire Annual Report 1981 (Bibliographic reference). SPM187.

<2> Portsmouth City Council, n/a, Portsmouth City SMR Cards, SU60SE28 (Index). SPM1.

<3> Portsmouth City Council, 2011, City of Portsmouth Local List of Buildings (Bibliographic reference). SPM37.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> SPM187 Bibliographic reference: Fox, R. 1982. Archaeology in Hampshire Annual Report 1981.
  • <2> SPM1 Index: Portsmouth City Council. n/a. Portsmouth City SMR Cards. SU60SE28.
  • <3> SPM37 Bibliographic reference: Portsmouth City Council. 2011. City of Portsmouth Local List of Buildings.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • Locally Listed

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SU 651 003 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM