Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM381 - Former Dock Mill

Summary

Site of the Dock Mill (also known as the New Dock Mill) built in Napier Road in 1817 by the Dock Mill Society. The society went into liquidation in 1834 and the mill was later purchased by Morris Welch. It was demolished 1923/4 and the site is now occupied by flats.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Site of a tower windmill in Southsea, with four pairs of stones [1]. Built by the Dock Mill Society in 1817, with a bakehouse, when the Old Dock Mill was purchased by the Board of Ordnance in 1816. The mill stood derelict after the Society went into liquidation in 1834. It was purchased by Morris Welch after the Kings Mill burnt down in 1868. Welch installed a steam engine but kept the windmill as auxiliary power. The sails last turned in 1905/08. A gas engine was installed in 1905. The mill was pulled down in 1923/24 and was replaced by flats in Moulin Avenue off Wisborough Road [2]. Also known as the New Dock Mill.


<1> Riley, Ray & Yoward, Tony, 2001, Structuration Theory and 19th Century Corn Milling in Portsmouth (Bibliographic reference). SPM293.

<2> Horne, Robert Sutherland, 1969, Britain's First Co-op in Portsmouth? (Bibliographic reference). SPM304.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> SPM293 Bibliographic reference: Riley, Ray & Yoward, Tony. 2001. Structuration Theory and 19th Century Corn Milling in Portsmouth.
  • <2> SPM304 Bibliographic reference: Horne, Robert Sutherland. 1969. Britain's First Co-op in Portsmouth?.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 650 988 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM