Please read our on the use of HER data.

Monument MPM9 - Site of King James' Gate

Summary

Site of the gate which separated Point from the town of Portsmouth. Originally built in the 1500s and known as 'Point Gate', the gate was strengthened and enlarged c. 1687 and renamed King James' Gate. The gate was demolished during the 1860s, although part of the west demi-bastion still remains on the seaward side to the northwest of the Square Tower. Part of the gate's dressed stone façade now forms the entrance to the United Services Sports Ground at Burnaby Road.

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

The site of the original Point Gate (built 1545) which separated Point from the town of Portsmouth. The gate was strengthened and enlarged c. 1687, and was renamed King James' Gate after the reigning monarch James II. The gate was demolished circa 1860 by which time the town defences were redundant. Part of the west demi-bastion still remains on the seaward side to the north west of the Square Tower at the junction of High Street with Broad Street. Part of the dressed stone facade now forms the entrance to the United Services Sports Ground at Burnaby Road (see MPM446). Foundations of E side excavated in 1988 by R T Fox. [1, 2]

Excavations during the redevelopment of the area in 1988 revealed the ground plan of the west demi-bastion of the 16th century Point Gate, which had been constructed from Bembridge Isle of Wight limestone. A section of the moat wall associated with the rebuilt gate of 1687 was also uncovered (see MPM1026), which was built in ashlar faced Portland/Purbeck limestone. The remains were severely disrupted by the construction of the Camber Ship-Building Yard in the late-19th and mid-20th centuries. [2]

A timber palisade on the seaward line of defences (in the area between the Square and Round towers) and a gate separating Point from the main town, had existed from at least the 15th century. These early defences were replaced with masonry walls and a gateway during the reign of Elizabeth I. The gate was protected by small demi-bastions on the northeast and southwest sides. When the gate was modified in 1687 a wide moat was excavated beyond its northeast (outer) front which was crossed by a drawbridge. The moat was infilled and the gate demolished when the town defences became redundant in the mid-19th century. [3]

A caponier was constructed across the south end of the moat at some point during the 18th century to enable communication between the Point defences and the town in the event of an attack. [4]


<1> Portsmouth City Council, n/a, Portsmouth City SMR Cards, SZ69NW7 (Index). SPM1.

<2> Fox, Russ, 1988, King James Gate (Excavation archive). SPM5.

<3> Fox, R, 1991, Portsmouth's Ramparts Revisited (Bibliographic reference). SPM351.

<4> Corney, A, 1973, Fortifications in Old Portsmouth - A Guide (Bibliographic reference). SPM388.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> SPM1 Index: Portsmouth City Council. n/a. Portsmouth City SMR Cards. SZ69NW7.
  • <2> SPM5 Excavation archive: Fox, Russ. 1988. King James Gate.
  • <3> SPM351 Bibliographic reference: Fox, R. 1991. Portsmouth's Ramparts Revisited.
  • <4> SPM388 Bibliographic reference: Corney, A. 1973. Fortifications in Old Portsmouth - A Guide.

Protected Status/Designation

  • Conservation Area 4: Old Portsmouth

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SZ 630 993 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM