Please read our on the use of HER data.

Building MPM423 - THE WAREHOUSE

Summary

Former warehouse built c.1850s. Originally a cart builder's works. Used as a warehouse/workshop by William Treadgold & Co Ironmongers 1861-1982 and as a museum store during the late-20th century. Converted into apartments c.2008.

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Brick-built c.mid-19th century warehouse and workshop located on the east side of Bishop Street, Portsea. The premises were originally a cart builder's works dating to the c.1850s, and appear to have been used as a warehouse/workshop by William Treadgold & Co Ironmongers between 1861 and 1982. Treadgolds main premises were located directly opposite the warehouse between 1809 and 1988 (see MPM424). The exact date of the warehouse's construction is not known, as the early-19th century maps do not show individual buildings. The workshop is clearly shown on the 25" Ordnance Survey map for 1860, and its footprint has not changed for over 150 years.

An historic building recording carried out in 2008 revealed that most of the original fittings had been removed. However, a hand-made wooden cartwheel used as a pulley on the second floor may have dated to when the building was originally used as a cart works. This had been mounted on beams above a hatch, and would have been used to move heavy objects between floors.

The warehouse was converted into apartments following the survey in 2008.


<1> Whitehead, B, 2008, Report on Building Recording at Treadgolds Warehouse, Portsea, Hampshire (Unpublished document). SPM380.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> SPM380 Unpublished document: Whitehead, B. 2008. Report on Building Recording at Treadgolds Warehouse, Portsea, Hampshire.

Protected Status/Designation

Other Statuses/References

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Finds (0)

Location

Grid reference SU 6342 0036 (point)
Unitary Authority Portsmouth City

Record last edited

Jul 1 2026 11:51AM